The Importance of Vitamin D

Vitamin D Foods

Wait, it isn’t actually a vitamin?

Did you know that vitamin D ISN’T a vitamin, but something called a “prohormone” or precursor hormone? When our skin gets zapped by UV-B rays from the sun, it begins creating vitamin D, which is then sent on to the liver and kidney to become more active forms of the hormone (vitamin D2 and D3, respectively). Once it becomes D3, it is sent to the intestines to help absorb Calcium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium. AKA, you need vitamin D for bone growth/density, strong teeth, nerve function, and cell and tissue repair.  Low levels of vitamin D include being more prone to obesity, cardiovascular complications, bone loss, and mental illnesses.

 

We get upwards of 90% of our vitamin D from the sun; the other 10% comes from food. 10-15 minutes of arm and leg sun exposure, 2-3 days per week is recommended; however, some are concerned with skin cancer down the road, especially since sunscreen over SPF 8 blocks vitamin D synthesis. To reach the daily recommended level, be sure to include the following in your diet: egg yolks, fatty fish (i.e., salmon, mackerel), fortified dairy (not cow’s milk), mushrooms, orange juice, and/or D3 supplements (as prescribed by your doctor).

 

-Kristine Gilson, Certified Nutrition Coach

empower yourself to Stop dieting & start living.

A life well-lived begins with learning to treat your body with kindness and compassion. Together, let’s rediscover the true meaning of health that is rooted in nourishment, not deprivation. Through one-on-one nutrition coaching sessions, both virtually and in the club, our Coaches are committed to helping their clients make positive, sustainable changes. Fill out the form for more information on Nutrition Coaching. 

14 + 11 =

More Content Like This

At Home Pilates Class 3

Pilates Class with Katrina Relax your body and focus on strength in roughly a 40 minute at-home Pilates Class with Studio Instructor, Katrina. Class Length: 40 minutes Equipment needed: mat or mat substitution (towel, blanket, carpet)

At Home Leg Workout

At Home leg workout with Corporate Membership Director, Kris Leslie. Challenge your legs on your walks with:Walking lungesSide lungesFast walkingSlow walking& sprints